Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Who's fears are shaping my life?

Tonight at coffee my friend asked me this sobering question. She went on to talk about how many times her life had been defined by the fears of others. For example her family. I could so relate to what she said. I had never thought of others fears shaping my life as much as I am always thinking about my own. My life this past week though has been the perfect example of how others and their fears can make an impact on you. One week ago I had an amazing Friday. I was about to spend the evening with a friend I had not seen in over 10 years. We had reconnected by way of the world wide web and had quite easily formed a very strong relationship. We talked daily by email and almost weekly by phone. We connected so easily and so quickly. After two months of just talk he was headed to town. The thought of seeing him again took my breath away. The week prior to his arrival was filled with anticipation, sleepless nights and forgotten meals. I was completely consumed in him. My family had been made very aware of how important he had become to me. They had even help me prepare for the big evening. Thinking back now I almost feely silly. Like a young girl preparing for the big dance. The night was booked. The plans were to hang out at a friends house and have pizza. I couldn't wait. Even though I was filled with anxiety I was ready to finally see the face of the voice that I had grown so fondly of. It sounds like the beginning of a fairy tale story, but of course with every good story there has to be conflict. I arrived at the couples home of where we would be hanging out for the night. My long lost friend wasn't there yet. I being the planner I am had already decided I wanted to spend time alone without my couple friends and since I lived a few blocks thought the transision to my house would be easy and would really cement the night. My phone rang and for some reason I decided to answer. It was my sister. Her voice was upset and she wanted to know if she could spend the night at my house. She was leaving her boyfriend. I didn't know how to respond. Sure I told her. As I hung up the phone I was very upset because she knew my plans and now they were going to be wrecked. I called back a little while later to let her know if she was leaving and bringing her children she needed to be prepared not to go back. Then she tried to make me feel guilty. What was this all about? Well, she didn't leave and the next day it was never mentioned. She and her boyfriend were business as usual. I wondered why she had try to sabatoge my night. Could it be her own fears? Could I have been on to something that she wanted to end? I still don't know. I haven't confronted her, yet. It bothers me. I see no other explanation, but fear. Now, what about the boy I was waiting on, well his fear has now impacted my life too. I'll save that for next time...

To Be Continued