Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Soul Mates

I like the word soul. I like the word mate. Other than that you got me.---Mr. Big

Anytime you get girls together the talk sooner or later gets to the subject of men. Some girls are hopeless romantics. Other girls can fall a little more on the jaded side. I like to consider myself a hopeful romantic. I still have the hope of possibility. An idea that my romantic life nor myself are completely hopeless. For some reason lately the word soul mate has returned to my vocabulary. It began when a friend said he was broken up with the statement, you’re not my soul mate. Just for the record this is a total cop out and a really immature way to deal with someone. Then the word came up again from another friend of mine. Actually, maybe I asked her. Do you believe in soul mates? Her answer was an enthusiastic yes. I was a little thrown by her strong reaction. Then I said well where is yours? The words were out of my mouth before I even realized what I was asking. I quickly apologized and said I didn’t mean it. Yet I wondered if you have someone that believes in soul mates then shouldn’t they be with theirs? It’s really a dangerous concept, the thought that there is someone out there just walking around waiting for you to be paired up with them. How do you find them? What do they look like? Are they looking for you? What if you don’t live in the same city, state or country? Isn’t the word soul mate more for fairy tales like Prince Charming, glass slippers and fairy godmothers? Because if wearing the right shoes could really attract Mr. Right I believe that the pair of Kate Spade shoes I own would be the winner and I would be Cinderella. I pressed my friend a little further on how do you think that Mr. Soul Mate is going to show up in her life and what if you already have somebody and they are Mr. Ok or Mr. Right Now? She basically answered with for her she’ll just look up and he’ll be there. I think I’ve been down the road before. I remember after a huge break up I was still complaining about the guy when I looked up and there was a new guy. I had not really noticed him before. Was he there to rescue me? Mr. Soul Mate is it you? I can tell you that the answer was no. He was Mr. Crush that went on to be Mr. Friend and then Mr. Married. As a single hopeful romantic the idea of soul mates sounds like either a great romantic fantasy dreamt up by the most optimistic people on the planet or a great excuse for why you are either still single or why it’s not working out with your current love interest. I really don’t think I believe in soul mates or at least for now I don’t. However, just in case, Mr. Soul Mate if you end up reading this I’m ready for you. Please just call me or knock at my door. I will answer. I promise.