Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Monday, September 11, 2006

Tribute to Joseph Sisolak











Everything is everything, but you’re missing..—Bruce Springsteen


I will begin by saying it is a huge honor and privilege to remember and pay tribute to Joseph Sisolak. Being a part of this project, 2996 as it is called, is amazing and I am forever grateful that I stumbled upon it. The project has someone pay tribute to each of the victims of 9/11. As a writer I feel that my words could not serve any greater purpose than this. However, sometimes words just aren’t enough to describe a person. You have to hear their laugh or see their smile. My words can only help paint a picture of Joe and to make sure that those of us who are left behind never forget those who left us on September 11th.

I’ve struggled to write this. Knowing that the words can’t possibly capture the depth of love and pain that those who had a loss that day must feel. All I can do is my best which I believe Joe would expect and want. I can hardly take in the magnitude of this loss. Even now five years later I still cry with the family and friends who lost loved ones and with my neighbors all over this land. Joe, this is for you.

I read many wonderful tributes about Joe Sisolak from family and friends. It is powerful that the internet makes the world a little closer at times. There were many kind words and memories. Joe was one of 295 lost from Marsh & McClennan in the World Trade Center that day. He was a husband , a son, a friend, a mentor, a co-worker and a golf buddy. I read that Joe and his wife took one summer and played golf every weekend. I think the best way to honor his memory is to just be reminded of who he was. I will let his family and friends do that. Here are their words…


Intelligent
Dedicated
Able
80’s heavy metal music fan
Leader
Friend
Witty
Smiling
Fun
Golfer
Enthusiastic
Strived to do his best always
Love
Respect
Honest
Gentleness
Strong
Energetic
Laughter


Even though Joe physically left that day, he never left the hearts and minds of those who knew him. He made a lasting impression and impact. He passed on lessons and a sense of life that so many value. If we are lucky we might be able to leave behind the same when it is our time to depart.

We still have many more questions than answers and probably always will. However, answers won’t fill in the gaps of the ones that are now gone in the lives of so many. Without Joe there is still…


That missing voice on the phone.

That office left unoccupied.

That missing one on the course.

That missing smile.

That missing advice.



Time moves on but life at times stands still. Joe, we honor you today.



To read other tributes go to www.dcroe.com/2996