Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Fight or Flight?

In the season finale of Grey’s Anatomy the story was about conditions of the heart. When we are under distress we either fight or we take flight. It is a natural response that all humans possess. I thought about this. When it comes to matters of the heart this is also a natural response. Some of us stand and fight for love and some of us run. I used to be the type that would run, but I’ve learned in my few years on the planet that there are some things and some people worth fighting for. You never know until you are put in the situation what you will do. Even as my marriage was ending I stayed and fought. I didn’t run. I kept trying until the end. I tried even after the end. I don’t give up easily. I stay around and I fight. One of my favorite work out routines is kickboxing. I love it. All the movements make you feel so strong and coordinated. You finish the routine and feel like you can take on the world. It makes me feel like Lara Croft. That’s because I am a fighter. I’m the oldest child and usually the oldest set the tone of the family. They blaze the trail and make it easier for the younger child. The oldest children are usually the leaders, the strong, rational ones. The oldest child is the fighter. They are also the protector of the youngest siblings. I think this is why my parents never bother to check on me very often. They usually just ask my sister how I am doing. I believe that they assume that I am strong and I am fine.

Don’t we all secretly want someone to stand up and fight for us? Even the most independent of women like the knight in shining armor that would be willing to at least try and slay the dragon. Aren’t there some things or people who are worth the fight? Sometimes our first response is to run away, yet it’s never too late to come back and fight. In the heart condition of love, which would you chose, fight or flight?