Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Did I Shave My Legs For This?

Women are funny creatures. There are many things you can tell another woman that you would dare not tell a man. I recently got an email from a friend that asked what’s the longest I had gone without shaving my legs. I thought the question was funny, one of the most interesting things that he had asked me in a while. Note I said he. Yes, it was a guy friend. He had said that he needed a shave. His face had become so scratchy and that he had become quite miserable. His email got me thinking. I actually answered him with a very vague reply that could have meant I had gone anywhere from one day to years or never. I wondered if he would think of me differently after that. The thing is that if us girls were honest (and we are about shaving with each other, but not the guys) we would admit we get into shaving seasons. I talked to some of my girl friends about this whole shaving bit and here are some things that I have concluded. When you are single and you have the potential of meeting Mr. Right or at least Mr. Right Now you probably tend to keep those legs pretty smooth most of the time. However, there are times in the life of a single girl when you got no one to impress and well it’s like cooking, it’s just you so who cares? You can eat a bowl of cereal for dinner every night and not shave. Some of my married friends and moms weighed in that shaving is just low on the priority of things to do. Between working, cleaning and taking care of their husbands and kids they are just too tired or busy. I think when it comes to shaving and relationships with men it is a tell tale sign of how comfortable you are. In a new relationship we girls want the guys to see us as these perfect little darlings. Yet, after a while once we start wearing our old granny underwear and sweat pants in front of them, shaving becomes less of the priority that it was. Not to mention the actual weather seasons have a bearing on our shaving. When it’s time for swimsuits and shorts the razor or the waxer becomes our good friend. In the winter when all is covered, well… Some things are just better left unsaid. The thing is that sometimes you have bad days or bad dates and you can’t help but wonder, did I shave my legs for this?