Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Friday, March 24, 2006

Reality and Pain

Real--Not artificial, fraudulent or illusory, genuine

Reality---The quality or state of being real

Escapism---Habitual diversion of the mind to purely imaginative activity or entertainment as an escape from reality or routine



Nobody likes pain and suffering. However, if you live on the planet and get up another day you take the chance that you will encounter some unpleasantness. I'm always pondering people and their mind and emotions. I'm being reminded lately that life is fragile. People are fragile. Even I am at times fragile even though I hate to admit that. We humans have all types of ways to deal with pain. Currently, I have several friends going through bad things. Some are totally devastated while others are just mildly uncomfortable. The different ways that each of them deal with pain is interesting. Some are turning to drinking to become numb. Others have decided to just lay low from everybody for a while. One of my friends and I were talking about why we watch movies. One weekend I watched a bunch of movies. I felt like I was on escapism overload. Some watch movies to be entertained, others to break up the monotony in their life, others to get away from their real life. Then there are people who only watch certain types of movies. Ones that don't closely mimic real life. I can only live in an imaginary world for so long. I have to deal in reality. That's just me. Not that I don't have my own escape mechanisms. I tend to want to get rid of the things that cause me pain. I'll throw you away and delete your number quickly. It's easier than trying to work it out. Not the most mature way of dealing with things. So, I'm working on breaking that pattern. Anytime you are in a relationship with someone there is conflict at some point. There can also be a complete breakdown in the relationship. Things can get messy. Then what? How do you deal with the pain? Sometimes we don't or won't. In a world full of hurt I can't help but wonder do we all just want to live in a state of beige or vanilla? In a neutral zone? In a life that barely feels pain so it barley feels a thrill? If you don't know pain can you ever really know bliss? How would you measure them? Would you really understand total and complete happiness without being completely broken and sad? Would we even know how to appreciate the good times without some bad ones? I'm many things, but beige is not one of them. I am loud, complicated, always thinking, always evolving. I am black, blue, red and pink. I am broken, thrilled, happy, sad. I am real.