Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Friday, March 24, 2006

Fragile

Fragile –adj—pronounced-"fra-jil"—meaning--Easily broken or destroyed

When I hugged my friend she was shaking. Her world had been destroyed. Everything that she had loved and valued had come undone. The life that she had lived, forever changed. It's amazing how the selfish acts of one person can almost completely destroy another. As we talked over lunch she showed me some of the battle wounds. Self inflicted. A cut where the tip of a knife once was forced. A wrist that was sliced up. An arm covered in bruises. She managed to force a smile, but her eyes told the truth. The pain was clearly carved on her face. I tried to listen. There are no solutions when you are broken. They only come with time and with the gift of time comes clarity. Her phone kept ringing and she kept answering him and putting me on hold. I felt bad. I wanted to give her answers. I wanted to give her hope. I could relate on some levels. I've been broken by someone that I loved more than anything. I built my life around him and when he was gone I had nothing left or so I thought. My friend's pain is so fresh and new. I told her it's one day at a time and then one day you look up and you feel different and even possibly happy. She can't see that now. She can't see anything now. Her life is blurry. Her grief is overwhelming. We went to see a movie. A romantic comedy. Bad choice. When we left the theater she was crying and it wasn't a sad movie. It was a movie where things worked out and the couple got together. Isn't that what we go to movies for? If real life were only that simple. There's conflict, minor pain and then it all ends happily ever after. I remember why I quit watching movies for a long time. They were too painful. Life is so fragile. People are so fragile. The affects of words and actions can mark a person for a lifetime. Life can change in a blink of an eye. You wake up one day and a single action can forever change your entire existence.