Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Friday, March 24, 2006

Is it better to know or wonder?

They say that it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. That to me is debatable. When you have loved and it has ended, then you are left with an empty feeling. This feeling you can spend the rest of your life desperately searching for. Sometimes you can find a substitute feeling for it. It's like artificial sweetener and sugar. It's just not quite the same. Yet it fits the need for the short term. However, if you have never loved you don't know what you are missing. You have some sort of fantasy in your mind of what things will be, but you have never experienced the reality. There is something to be said for being able to hold on to the idea of love. To hold on to an unconfirmed feeling of what you think things might be. Could be. Your idea of what it should be or what you want it to be. Is it really better to continue to look for something that you may never find again? There are no guarantees in life. There are no promises in love. It's a roll of the dice. Would I be much happier in a state of bliss that I created in my own mind? Is it possible to be completely happy again with no one in your life to love? What happens when TV, movies, chocolate, phone calls, email, work, money, food, shopping, religion and the things you used to do don't satisfy anymore? Is love the answer that satisfies? Yet, if I had never taken a chance on love would I be missing out? Would my life be better if I had never had that amazing feeling of love? What is it about love from another that somehow completes you? Should I take a chance with someone or just stay in my fairy tale world? When it comes to matters of the heart is it really better to know than to wonder?