Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Friday, March 24, 2006

Insecurity

Insecure---in-si-'kyur-----Not confident or sure:Uncertain. Deficient in assurance: beset by fear and anxiety.


Is it easier to be a good friend to a person during bad times rather than in good times? Can the happiness of someone else cause us pain? Are we so insecure at times that we would try to sabatoge someone that we genuinely care about just so they don't somehow make us feel worse about ourselves? Relationships are tricky. They are scary and almost always unpredicatable. It doesn't matter if it is a love interest or just a friendship. When friends are hurting it's a natural reaction to want to comfort them. You spend hours on the phone, on the email and over coffee listening and nodding. You create a space for them to work out what they need to. Yet, when things are going good are we such good friends? Can you count on the same amount of support when you get that new promotion, house, car or significant other? Sometimes the happiness and success of others brings out our own insecurities. I am guilty of this. I have skipped more weddings and baby showers due to my own pain. I wished my friends well, but the sights and sounds of their own happiness made me feel horrible. I am hoping I have overcome that in the past few years. Hopefully, I have become more at peace with my own life so I can be there for others and share in their happiness and sorrows. We really are fragile little creatures. There are many things that cause us to be insecure people. Alot of what people have said about us and situations we have faced factor in. Fear is a huge part of it. I am finding that fear makes people do some strange things. Fear and insecurity can cost us a lot. We can lose out on jobs, fulfilling our purpose in life, pursuing our dreams and even discovering the love of our life. Currently, I am in examination mode. I'm walking around my life and looking very closely at the people who are in it. I am taking an honest and sobering look at everyone, including myself. Things have changed. People have changed. I have changed. In a world full of ups and downs, good times and bad I can't help but wonder when push comes to shove who is really in your corner?