Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Green Eyes-A Valentine's Day Story

I can still picture those green eyes. Her eyes really were windows to her beautiful soul. “I miss her.” I couldn’t believe I was actually saying the words out loud. No one was around to hear them, but me. After 53 years of marriage, three kids and all the ups and downs of my job she was my rock. Maybe saying the words aloud were just for me to hear. I dismissed myself as being silly and decided to go to the grocery to pick up some milk and cereal, a staple meal in my house since she had gone. I know the kids are upset that I still walk to the market, but it’s only two blocks. Yes, I know I am old, but I am still alive and am still fully capable of walking a couple of blocks to the market. Besides, I enjoy the fresh ocean air. Moving south was so important to her. I am glad we did it. We had some good years here, but I always thought I would be the first to leave this world and not her. My mind was flooded with thoughts of my beloved as I entered the store and was greeted with blaring pink, red and white hearts and a giant balloon wishing me a happy Valentine’s Day. My heart sank. The thought of my valentine being gone was almost more than I could bear. I thought I was doing ok with this, that I was handling it. “Mr. Jones, how are you today?” “Good, good, Jack.” I snapped. “And yourself?” “Fine, just trying to keep everything moving along in the store.” “Well, Jack you’re doing a fine job. Keep up the good work.” I felt myself trying to get away from him as fast as I could. I wondered if he could read my mind or see my pain. I tried to get through the store quickly. I had little energy for small talk and smiles today. At every turn of a corner was another reminder of a holiday that I used to enjoy and now was bringing me great sorrow. I couldn’t believe it when I found myself strolling down the Valentine’s Day section of the greeting card aisle. “What am I doing?” I made my way to the checkout and picked a cashier who did not know me so I could make a fast escape out of the store. I took a deep breath as I closed the door to my home. I felt safe again. No pink or red here, just a few pictures and memories of my loss. Yet, for some reason it was comforting to me.

The phone rang and it startled me out of my 10:30 am nap. “Hello.” “Uncle Ben. It’s Jennifer.” “Hey Jen, how are you?” “I’m good. Listen, I was calling to see if you would like to have dinner with me?” “Sure, I would love to. I don’t have a lot on my calendar, but I could work you in between naps.” She giggled. “I was thinking we could go out for Valentine’s Day. What do you think?” I sighed hard trying to decide what to say. I could feel the emotions rising. “You know Jennifer that sounds lovely. I would be honored to go.” “Great! I’ll pick you up at 5:00 and we can get an early bird special somewhere.” “I’ll see you then Jennifer and thanks for calling.”

As we sat at dinner on Valentine’s Day I looked at Jennifer’s beautiful green eyes. They were exactly like her mother’s and her mother’s sister, her aunt, my wife. All I could think to myself was how did she know? How did she know this was exactly what I needed?