Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Do you like me? Check yes or no

Remember in grade school those famous notes that would be passed around from boy to girl? You know the ones with the question do you like me check yes or no. These days when it comes to dating things are not so cut and dry. It would probably be much simpler to just try and pass a note, get the true answer and then move forward or move on. I was talking to a friend of mine recently about trying to decide on whether or not to move forward with a particular guy. I went back and forth in my head about what to do. My sister always says to go for the free meal, but I approach things differently. Why bother with the meal if you can’t decide if you want to even have a phone conversation with them? I began wondering if you have to talk yourself into pursuing someone do you really even like them at all? I think back to other guys that I have liked and I have always been sure. No doubts as to whether or not I liked them. No back and forth, no pros and cons, just yes this guy would be worth pursing or no he’s not. I know tons of people that go out on a date because they feel bad if they don’t at least try and make an effort. I am positive that guilt is not an emotion that motivates me to act. I have said many times don’t try to guilt me into doing anything. It doesn’t work. It just irritates me. Sometimes I can be an all or nothing person. I suppose that’s why I believe you shouldn’t have to talk yourself into going out with someone. I had a guy tell me recently he was a big teddy bear. I am not exactly sure why but for some reason that statement bothered me. I thought to myself I already have a teddy bear and currently he’s lying on my bed. Is that what I want really? A teddy bear? The truth is no. I want someone who has some pizzazz. Some spunk. A maverick if you will. Like Carrie once asked in an episode of Sex and the City can a relationship survive without the zsa zsa zu? Some people in life you just spark with. The conversation is easy. The laughter is often. Things are fun. You think that maybe you can overcome all your fears and actually give things a shot and you believe that maybe that can see all your flaws and like you too. Usually if we are hesitant there is a good reason why. However, even when there are no straight forward answers as to why you are unsure sometimes you just have to trust your instinct. The thing is that even though some of us may want teddy bears there are still others of us who would rather have butterflies.