Heylala's Blah, Blah, Blah

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd. No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole; Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll! Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me, Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee. An excerpt from "Eloisa to Abelard" by Alexander Pope

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Online Journey To Insanity-Crash and Burn Time

Over the past month a friend and I have been doing the whole online dating thing. The more our society becomes technologically savvy the less of a stigma there seems to be with meeting someone on the internet. When we first got started with the whole online adventure it was quite a rush. In the beginning you are bombarded with emails, winks and views. It’s very flattering and great for the ego. It’s also just really fun and interesting. You start out on a high thinking of the possibilities. Could I click with this one or this one? It’s like being a kid in a candy store. The options seem endless. You feel as if maybe, just possibly you could actually get your hopes up. Then things progress on. The days become weeks and you go from exhilarated to just plain overwhelmed. You start to see patterns and red flags. Then you begin to question everything. I read recently that about 40% of the people with online profiles are married. The article even gave you tips to try and figure out who is married and who’s not based on various things in a persons profile. Eventually, your feelings go from being overwhelmed to frightened. I am surprised the range of emotions you can go through even with something as silly as online dating. My personal experience has been pretty good. I’ve talked to some nice guys. I’ve been out with some nice guys. Then I’ve had some that just seem to disappear and it leaves me wondering what happened? Those are the most frustrating ones. Then you find yourself bombarded with questions. I have asked myself over and over, its it them or is it me? What are the deal breakers? How do I know if I am settling? How do I know if this person is who they say they are? Did I really like this at first? Are there certain rules to this game that I should know? Am I crazy? Are they crazy? Are we all crazy? For some odd reason it makes me think of the episode of Sex And The City when Carrie goes to see a therapist and realizes she picks the wrong men. Then the question becomes do I pick the wrong men or do they pick me? Maybe I should get into therapy. Maybe I should forget dating and go ahead and invest in more cats. And on and on and on…Until one day you just cancel your accounts and either book an appointment and get into therapy or you go back to living your single life in the real world.